Tuesday, September 11, 2012

If it's Tuesday, let's have pizza!


When I was in high school, there were two theater kids who used to give the morning announcement every day. That they were theater kids is important, because to get the full effect of the story, you'll have to hear them being theater-y in your head. So, every Friday morning at the end of announcements, their exuberant, youthful voices crashed into every corner of the school; "If it's Friday, It Must be Pizza Day!". Only now I'm hearing it in more of an Effie Trinket voice, which isn't helping the image at all.
So, now we are eating pizza on Tuesday. But not every Tuesday, that wouldn't work around here.
The girl won't eat cheese, so I thought I'd try a plain red sauce pizza for her, cut it into strips, and then make a dipping sauce. I tossed some raw cashews, nutritional yeast, hemp seeds, raw garlic, and salt into the Vitamix with a little water, and mashed it up until it was creamy. She was wary at first, but then said she loved it. The boy got pizza strips with red sauce and daiya cheese, and wouldn't even look at the dipping sauce, but he did like the pizza strips. I also rolled up a single piece of Wellshire turkey ham in a small square of waxed paper so that they'd have some protein if they weren't into the dipping sauce. The boy once again ignored the pouch, even though it was his favorite one, apple/squash. I'll have to give them a rest for a while and see if I can come up with another way to get veggies into him. I was a bad reusable mama and used ziplock baggies for the (so yummy!) dehydrated cinnamon apples. I couldn't figure out another way to fit them into that narrow space in the lunchbox without having them get all hydrated and funny. I guess I'll have to trade in some hippie points for that one.

No comments: