Sunday, January 13, 2013

Milk for Monday


-Turkey sandwich on Rudi's gf bread with Mindful Mayo
-Tiny container of organic raisins
-Half of a Kit's Organic fruit & nut bar
-Favorite smoothie (made with homemade coconut milk!!)


I've planned to try making my own coconut milk for so long, but never made the time to do it. I can't believe I waited so long! It took so little time and is so much tastier than anything from a box or can (not to mention not having any creepy ingredients).
I started with the recipe at Whole New Mom. I then used the milk to start a batch of slow cooker rice pudding for the kids breakfast tomorrow. It turned out so much richer and creamier than it does when using store-bought milk, and I immediately decided to make a second batch for smoothies. It only keeps for about 48 hours in the fridge, but freezes well (just needs a good shake when it thaws). I don't think we'll be buying packaged milks again.

No comments: