Saturday, October 6, 2007

A great start to the weekend

My mom and I took the babies to the zoo for the first time yesterday. We had a great time. It's always nice for me to get out of the house, but it was especially nice to spend so much time with my mom, plus it was a beautiful day. The boy seemed to like the fish and turtles in the aquarium, and the girl loved the monkeys. They both napped well, and were happy in the stroller. I rented one of those electric wheely carts, and both kids liked riding in my lap as I zoomed around. There were lots of cobblestones though, and by the end of the day my ankle was a bit sore, but it was worth it to have such a great family outing. Next time my husband will come along. I think that next year we'll get a membership and go a bunch, the kids will be the perfect age.
Last night we went through the kid's toys and bagged up everything that was made in China that had paint on it. There isn't much left. They are young enough that it's not a big deal to take their things away, but I am so glad that they aren't older. I think we purged about 80% of their toys. We kept the HABA, some handmade things, cloth books, 2 Waldorf dolls, and a couple of Tupperware toys. I'm feeling so upset about all the lead paint reports and I don't really understand why it isn't more of a priority of the toy companies to insure the safety and quality of the items they sell. Especially when they are intended to be chewed on and played with by infants and children who mouth everything.
I've been looking for a baby doll for the kids, I haven't found one yet that I like and that I know is safe. I think I have a lot of research to do. Or some sewing :) I don't have a ban on Chinese-made toys, I just want to know that the company and manufacturer has the health and safety of my children in mind. Documented independent testing maybe?

No comments: