Sunday, September 4, 2011

Need some sugar? -Or- GF/Vegan S'mores!!

I needed some chocolate, and the kids hadn't done any cooking in a while, so I thought I'd come up with a fun new treat for them. I've been wanting to make s'mores with the kids, but I haven't been able to find a good vegan/gluten-free graham cracker. When I spotted a box of gluten-free graham cracker crumbs in the grocery store, I figured I'd give them a try. 
The recipe is extremely simple, and tooth-numbingly sweet. If there's a next time, I'll tone down (or eliminate) the additional sugar in the crust. 
First, I followed the directions on the box of Kinnikinnick Graham Style Crumbs for a cheesecake crust, adding 6 T of Earth Balance Margarine, and more sugar than necessary (I don't remember the exact amount).


Then, I pressed the crumbs into a lined springform pan and put it into the fridge while I prepared the chocolate. I poured about 3/4 cup of Enjoy Life Vegan Chocolate Chips into a Pyrex measuring cup with a tablespoon or so more Earth Balance and microwaved it in 20 second intervals until almost melted.

I poured the melted chocolate into the crust and spread it as evenly as possible, then put the whole thing back into the fridge for the chocolate to cool. 
After it had cooled sufficiently, the kids helped pour about half a bag of Dandies Vegan Marshmallows on top and made sure they were arranged in a single layer.

We all watched excitedly to see what would happen to the marshmallows when they were put under the broiler. They only puffed slightly, but browned nicely. We took them out before they crystallized too much, to make sure that they didn't get too chewy or hard.
The crust was a bit too crumbly, but they were the best attempt at GF/vegan s'mores that I've tasted yet. The kids were happy to lick the crumbs from their plates, and then spent a lot of time with a rag and a spray bottle of vinegar, cleaning the table.

No comments: