Monday, November 12, 2007

I may just walk before the babies do

I'm single-crutching! The physical therapist said to keep working on balance with one crutch and when I'm good at that I can try to walk without them, just with the boot. Then I can start wearing a smaller brace and real shoes. I think that I'll still have to do at least another month and a half of PT before I'm really walking normally again, but I'm getting there. My next doc appointment is in 6 weeks, so he thinks I'm healing fine on my own. He did say that I'll likely have some sensitivity for 6 months or so. The coolest thing? I took some crutch-less steps!!! It was fun, but I did hurt a bit afterward and needed to ice my ankle for a bit. But, it wasn't the ankle that hurt, it was the muscles that I haven't been using. I'm so excited to get back on my feet and to be able to carry the babies again, and clean the house, and drive. My goal is to walk without crutches by Thanksgiving.
I'm feeling winter starting to set in. My sewing has all been with wool and flannel, and I've been wanting to knit the kids sweaters and overalls and hats. I'm hoping to be able to use the woodstove this year, but we first need to come up with a good way to keep the kids safe around it. Learning to walk around a chunk of hot cast iron could be scary. I'm sure we'll figure it out though, and will be all snug and warm with cups of tea and the kids playing happily and safely nearby.

No comments: